Erected in 1935 by the New York State Education Department. It stands near the southwest edge of the Sterling Valley bridge on State Route 104A and Sterling Valley Road. map
Peter Dumas (aka Pierre Dumas) did not sail with Lafayette’s fleet, but may have been with a unit that fought alongside him. See the Pierre Dumas page on this website for more information about him.
John Cooper established the first saw mill and first grist mill in Sterling here along this branch of Sterling Creek. The mill pond dam can still be seen from the bridge. Cooper arrived about 1810 and the saw mill existed in 1812.
More information about Sterling Valley is available on The Sterling Valley Project page.